Monday, March 9, 2015

Books into Art: The Libri Bianchi of Lorenzo Peronne

The scene during the opening party at Ca D'oro in Chelsea.

The people who write this blog are all about books.  Here is an artist who has found another way to use books to comment on life and society.

During my recent time in Florence, I met Lorenzo Perrone whose work I just love, and I was lucky enough to snag an invitation to the opening of his current exhibition at the Ca D’oro Gallery in New York.

Lorenzo Perrone preseting "Mother Nature" to a guest at the opening.


Lorenzo Perrone was born in Milan, where he attended the Scuola del Libro (!) at the Umanitaria Institute and the School of Painting at Castello Sforesco.  He worked as a graphic artist in Milan, Paris, and London before coming to New York, where he attended The New School and the School of Visual Arts and worked in advertising for more than ten years.  Since 2000 he has been using plaster, glue, acrylic paint, and foreign objects to create sculptures that charm the eye and challenge the mind.  Each of his “books” tells a story all its own.

Here are some photos I took of the exhibition opening this past Saturday:


"Book Opener"


"Snowy New York"
Appropriate, considering the winter we've had.

"Discendenze"



"Lega'mi"
(Tie me up)



"Le Violon"
(omaggio a Man Ray)



"Not to Be Forgotten"
(Lorenzo told me this was about the Holocaust.)





My Favorites:
"Per Uso Alimentare"
(To be used as food)



L'uomo Che Cammina
(The man who walks, inspired by Phillipe Peti's walk between the Towers)

Detail of "L'uomo Che Cammina"


Lorenzo and a guest discuss his work



And here are a few that were not in the exhibition, but that I find just marvelous.





Lorenzo’s gorgeous website is here:


Annamaria - Monday











6 comments:

  1. These are fabulous pieces, Annamaria. I would have loved to have seen this exhibition myself, but your pictures are a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out his website, Zoe. My pix don't do him justice.

      Delete
    2. I did indeed check out the link. Yet more wonderful examples of his work. Thanks for this!

      Delete
  2. The best things about art share many similarities to the best things about writing/reading: the expression and experience of unique ideas and points of view (which takes me back to my comment on Zoë's column yesterday: always focus on expressing yourself, your own ideas, rather than jumping on the bandwagon of someone else's creation). Impossible to do entirely, of course, as we are all living on the slopes of the shoulders of giants, but hopefully you get the drift of my snowfall... (how's that for mixing metaphors in a glue pot?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EvKa, so true. I find that art inspires me. One of the things that tickled me about Perrone's work is that piece called My Favorite Work, because it is a book with lots of other books inside, and I feel as if it represents what I do, reading all that history and all those memoirs in order to get a picture of life long ago and then putting the images into my work. His sculpture seemed like a metaphor for writing a historical novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen anything quite like this and I really am enjoying Perrone's work. I think I need to get out more. Thanks for the show and the link.

    ReplyDelete