Saturday, April 19, 2014

Easter and Springtime Redux on Mykonos



Tomorrow is Greek Orthodox Easter. It's also Easter for Protestants and Catholics.  The Julian and more modern Gregorian calendar are in synch this year for Easter.  If you want to know precisely how the date is determined, check out this link to my post a couple of years back.  

In celebration of this coming together of the faiths I'm showing you what springtime looks like on Mykonos. If the photos look familiar, you're right; I've run them before, a couple years back at Easter time. Please accept my apology, but I'm too busy recovering from jet lag and greeting old friends to run new photos. Besides the flowers still look the same.:)


It’s sunny and into the 60's, praise be the Lord!   When I arrived four days ago, the old town was just coming out of hibernation, but now restaurants, bars, and shops are open everywhere, pumped up and ready for business. 

Nature, too, is in full bloom, giving the island a blanket of green covered in red, yellow and purple wildflowers.  But it will all be gone by the advent of tourist season.  It’s a picture of the island few tourists ever see.


Although the religious rituals and local traditions practiced during Easter Week on Mykonos are something special to behold, I also covered that in the same post a few years back, and so I thought I’d share with you this Springtime pictorial view of Mykonos and its neighboring island of Delos.  The photographs are from the files of the master collector of all things visual Mykonian, Dimitris Koutsoukas.  Enjoy.

The harbor and windmills.


The Countryside.



Delos.


Kalo paska.

Jeff—Saturday

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lovely trip. I feel I have had a little journey back to the Greece I loved many moons ago , for a little bit of Easter in our torn world. Thelma straw in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Thelma. And you're right, all seems peaceful by the sea.

      For now.

      Delete
  2. Kalo paska to you from the two of us in Loutro on Crete's southern coast. After a downpour yesterday the sun has returned, Judas has been strung up and awaiting his fate which should take place in a few hours. We head to Ios on Tuesday and may actually make it to Mykonos by the end of the week - will be in touch if we actually set foot there! Are you still in the same place as last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And kalo paska to you two, too. Yep, I'm right where I always am, between here and there and maybe over yon. :)

      Delete
  3. Well, I'm glad you are where you always and having a wonderful welcome back. Your pictures are so nice, and not at all repetitive. After all, Monet painted how many Waterlilies? Kalo paska, can I borrow that? Even if I don't exactly know what it means, just guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lil, and feel free to borrow kalo paska...which literally means, "Good Easter."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalo Paska Jeff! Glad you are nearby, We'll be looking for you soon. Thanks for the lovely photos of the island in springtime, we've not been out of the center of town all week. Our springtime aromas of paint and varnish permeate the air, so all is as it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping to stop by soon. I'll bring the flowers and Peace on Earth.

    ReplyDelete